Ireland's Tánaiste Simon Harris responded late on Wednesday, April 2 after US President Donald Trump announced 20% tariffs on the European Union, including Ireland.

"I deeply regret the announcement on tariffs made by President Trump tonight," the Tánaiste, who is also Ireland's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, said on Wednesday night.

"As I have been saying for some time, there are no winners when it comes to tariffs - they are bad for consumers, put jobs at risk, and drive up costs and uncertainty for business."

The Tánaiste said the Irish Government has been "actively preparing" for the possibility of tariffs for "some time," adding: "We will seek to control what we can control and influence what we can influence while drawing on unity with our EU partners as our greatest strength."

The Tánaiste said he "will be reviewing the situation and the best way to respond in the coming hours and days" along with his Government colleagues, his officials, and the EU.

"The EU will have to respond in a proportionate manner which protects our citizens, our workers and our businesses," the Tánaiste said.

"The EU and Ireland stands ready to find a negotiated solution with the US. Negotiation and dialogue is always the best way forward."

The Tánaiste continued: "I must be honest tonight that a 20 per cent blanket tariff on goods from all EU countries could have a significant effect on Irish investment and the wider economy and the impact of what has been announced is likely to be felt for some time.

"These tariffs are in addition to the tariffs on steel and aluminum (25%) and auto sector (25%) that the US announced last month.

"It represents a huge challenge to Irish exporters to the US across all sectors. Work is already underway to mitigate this and we are already taking concrete steps to boost our domestic competitiveness and investing in our infrastructure.

"The Government is accelerating preparations for an Action Plan on Competitiveness and Productivity with Minister Burke leading this work. This plan will focus on domestic policy measures which can make the Irish economy more competitive and resilient to economic shocks."

The Tánaiste went on to say that the "deep and meaningful" relationship Ireland has with the US "will endure far beyond any difficulties we may encounter in the time ahead."

"We will continue to emphasise the fact that the US-EU relationship is a two-way street. Our economies are interdependent and an extended trade dispute is in no one’s interest. We will continue to seek to engage with the US administration in a constructive way."

The Tánaiste continued: "We know that the EU stands ready to find a negotiated solution with the US.

"Next Monday, I will attend a meeting of Foreign Affairs Council on Trade in Luxembourg where I will be discussing today’s developments and our collective response with my EU counterparts and Commissioner Šefčovič.

"In advance of this I will hold a meeting of the Trade Forum this Friday. This will be an opportunity for me to engage with business representatives in response to tonight’s announcements.

"We must remain calm and measured in our response. Ultimately every disagreement has to end in agreement and we will be continuing to advocate and argue for negotiated solutions.

"This is how we will end this dispute and this will be my focus along with that of my colleagues in the time ahead."

My statement on tonight’s announcement by the US President. pic.twitter.com/uSXKMtiBIU

— Simon Harris TD (@SimonHarrisTD) April 2, 2025

"Liberation Day"

The Tánaiste's statement came less than an hour after Trump announced sweeping tariffs on foreign imports in what he described as "Liberation Day" for the US.

"This is one of the most important days, in my opinion, in American history," Trump said from the 'Make America Wealthy Again' event at the White House on Wednesday.

"It’s our declaration of economic independence.”

After noting that the previously announced 25% tariff on all foreign-made automobiles will begin after midnight, the US President moved on to what he called "discounted reciprocal tariffs."

He said: “European Union - they’re very tough, very, very traders. You know, you think of European Union, very friendly, they rip us off, it’s so sad to see. It’s so pathetic.

“[The EU charges] 39% [tariffs], we’re going to charge 20%, so we’re charging them essentially half.”

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom - including Northern Ireland - will be subject to 10% tariffs.

"If you want your tariff rate to be zero, then you build your product right here in America, because there is no tariff if you build your plant, your product in America," Trump said.

He added: "To all of the foreign Presidents, Prime Ministers, Kings, Queens, Ambassadors, and everyone else who will soon be calling to ask for exemptions from these tariffs, I say: Terminate your own tariffs, drop your barriers, don't manipulate your currencies - they manipulate their currencies like nobody can even believe which is a bad, bad thing and very devastating to us - and start buying tens of billions of dollars of American goods."

Trump claimed: "These tariffs are gonna give us growth like you haven't seen before, and it'll be something very special to watch."

You can watch US President Donald Trump announce the new tariffs here: